Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, May 10, 2018

abundance

How much should I give? It’s a complicated question, because on top of my regular expenses I have retirement savings goals, plus I want to be able to support my family if necessary.

But there are so many good things to give to. Our church sponsors a number of ministries and missionaries, but there are also organizations like World Vision and the Red Cross. No matter how much I decide I can contribute, there will always be more needs than I have money.

Or will there? Is that really true? Here’s what Paul said to the church in Corinth, in 2 Corinthians 9:8: “And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”

If I really believe Paul, then there is enough. Not just if I plan right; he said in all things at all times. All things – ministry, mission, life, service – and at all times: when life is easy, when medical bills are piling up, when business is poor, when a bumper crop happens when the markets are up. None of that matters. With God, there are always abundant blessings. 

Do I make God too small? Is my faith stunted? I think it might be, at least when it comes to giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment