Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

training

Some of my friends are into cross-fit. I admire that. I admire the hard work they do and the things they accomplish, but even more I admire the way they seldom miss a workout. There’s something about cross-fit that really gets people committed.

I’m a more basic guy. I run and do push-ups, sit-ups and some dumbbell work. I do it on the days I feel good and skip the days my body tells me to take it easy. I’m pretty faithful in my workouts, but not to the extent of the cross-fit bunch.

I’m more faithful with my devotions and this blog, and that’s probably a good thing. Look at what Paul explained to Timothy in 1 Timothy 4:8: “For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”

Exercise and physical workouts are great, and I encourage everyone to pay attention to that part of your life. But Paul makes it very plain that physical training will help in only a handful of ways.

Investing in godliness, though, will help every aspect of your life. Your health, finances, and relationships will all get better. Your emotional resilience will increase. Your ability to handle trouble and stay tough will grow. And most of all, you’ll understand God better and know more readily what he would have you do.

I wonder when we’ll get as excited about Bible study, prayer and devotions as we are about fitness. I wonder if as a group we’ll ever train our spiritual selves as diligently as we do our bodies. I wonder if that will ever be a multi-billion dollar industry.

On second thought, it shouldn’t be. Godly people will always prefer to invest their money in other people rather than themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment