Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, May 24, 2018

on all occasions

I was in a discussion a while back with some friends about prayer time. In general, each of us had a designated time but we all struggle to keep it. Life, it seems, easily overtakes those time commitments.

Maybe we’re looking at it wrong. Paul advised this in Ephesians 6:18: “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.” 

He made this recommendation right after describing all the elements of the armor of God, suggesting prayer is a key part of readiness for spiritual warfare. But the phrase “all kinds of prayers and requests” means it isn’t meant for just that.

Is it possible to pray my way through the day? To basically keep in constant contact with God?

I read once about a monk, relatively senior in his monastery, who requested a transfer to the scullery. He wanted to spend his day washing dishes because that was an activity that would free his mind for prayer. He recounted the immense benefits he experienced from communing with God through his entire day.

That seems daunting, but there’s no doubt that he met Paul’s standard of praying in all occasions.

Can I do that? Can I pray when I’m busy and when I’m bored? Could I enter meetings praying for respectful dialogue and a successful outcome, pray for each person as we do business, and then thank God for our productivity as I leave? Would it really be so hard to ask for wisdom as I start a project, and discuss it with God as I work through it?

I think it comes down to mindfulness, which is the hard part. My mind is always active with multiple trains of thought, so I know I could do this. But I just don’t think of it.

I’d like to try. I just don’t know how to discipline myself to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment