Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

sufficient grace

I’ve had a lot of reminders lately of my weaknesses. In fact, it’s been kind of a deflating couple of weeks, one of those periods when you wonder how you got so out of synch with the people around you and whether you’ll ever get things sorted out.

But Paul had a word of encouragement for me this morning, writing to the Corinthian churches about his own weakness. When he brought it to God, here’s what happened, from 2 Corinthians 12:9: “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’”

I guess one way to look at it is I’m giving plenty of opportunity for God’s power to be made perfect. But more to the point, I can see a way through the feelings of inadequacy I’ve sometimes had recently. I don’t have to do it; I just have to fall back on Jesus and trust him to change me. He can make me into what he calls me to be, if I follow faithfully. 

In this, as in all things, his grace is sufficient. It doesn’t fix everything immediately, but it’s enough and more than enough to go forward with.

No comments:

Post a Comment