Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, May 7, 2018

in vain

You know those classic “other-guy” moments, when you hear a sermon or read something in scripture and immediately apply it to some other guy? Sometimes when that happens, you end up realizing it was actually about you. Oh, maybe the other guy too, but it was about you.

This morning, I had a moment like that as I read this, from 2 Corinthians 6:1-2: 
“As God’s co-workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. For he says,
‘In the time of my favor I heard you,
and in the day of salvation I helped you.’
I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation.”

Initially, I was glad not to be one of those people who received God’s grace in vain. I could think of a couple of other guys, but it wasn’t me.

But then I started wonder what it meant, to receive grace in vain. My first thought was that it applied to people who put their faith in Jesus just to get out of being punished for their sin; they wanted the benefit, but didn’t want to put in the work and sacrifice of a life of discipleship. 

But, if they were getting the benefit, how was it in vain for them? There must be something else.

The thing some people never have is the joy of an obedient life, the wonder of the fruits of the Spirit growing in them, the satisfaction of significant effort toward the most worthy goal there is. Those poor people don’t know what blessings come from being all in for Jesus.

That’s when that annoying little voice in my head said, “Yeah, but . . . .” It reminded me of all my joyless days. It reminded me that my work on my own sanctification had kind of stalled. It pointed out that the most significant efforts I make go toward building the kingdom of Greg.

Is it possible that in some way I’ve received God’s grace in vain? That I’m a Christian for purposes of salvation, but less so for a life of discipleship?

Maybe I need to reread 2 Corinthians 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment