Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Double standard

God says we should have a double standard.

That sounds bad to us; it seems unfair. But Paul explains part of it in 1 Cor 5:9-10, when he says we're to look at a sexually immoral Christian differently than an unbeliever who commits the same sin. He concludes by saying, "For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside."

That's too bad, because it's way more fun to judge outsiders. I just want to get along with the insiders. I don't want to have to challenge their behavior; I don't want to risk the relationships. Far better to concern myself with the sins of those outside my church.

God says, not your job. I want you to show love to those outsiders. I want you to show them what joy there is in following. Holding them accountable isn't necessary.

I think that's true because of a very simple fact: the unbeliever hasn't bought in yet. (I know, theologically that's not how it works, election and God calling and all that, but I mean something different here.) There is nothing that can possibly be gained by calling someone out for something they don't think is wrong. That's why vegans can seem so obnoxious to us carnivores.

That guy or gal who has professed faith is another story; we have a responsibility to them to hold them accountable. We can't let them hurt themselves spiritually any more than we would let them put a gun to their own heads.

I'm not always sure how to sort out this admonition with the "do not judge" directive, so I tend to lean toward love over judgment if there's doubt. Paul says here that with the unbeliever, there isn't a choice. Love is all they should see from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment