Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hair

This morning I read 1 Cor 11:2-16. This is a passage that we use a lot to talk about headship, because it puts Christ as head of all, and men as head of women. I don't really have a lot to add to the headship conversation except to say the topic makes me uncomfortable, and it's always seemed to me to be less about authority (what we try to make it) and more about responsibility, which we don't talk about much.

What caught my interest this morning was two things: First, the heading, which in the NIV is "Propriety in worship," and second is that the entire 15 verses is about hair. Hmmm . . . hair and worship. I'm not quite getting it.

Paul says (vv5-6), "Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head–it is just as though her head were shaved."

Is there a play on words here? Having my head covered probably refers to my actual physical head, but am I dishonoring that head or Jesus, my spiritual head? Probably the latter, but then how does my wife dishonor me if she uncovers her head? And which is shaved, her skull or mine? That probably refers to her again. And why does it matter whether either one of us has a hat or not?

I guess that's why it's important to remember we're talking about propriety in worship. In that context, Paul could be saying, "Look, everyone accepts that this is the way to show respect in worship (v16 - "we have no other practice–nor do the churches of God."). If you don't act this way, others will see it as disrespectful."

I think the take-away probably is this: Since we don't worry a lot any more about hats or hair length, we should be thinking about worship that is respectful to God and others. In that context, we're probably OK substituting clothing and behaviors for hats. When we do that, we see a few standards here.

First, we should conform to accepted standards, because not to do so will be distracting and maybe disruptive. Second, there's an extra level of expectation for the dads and husbands: for whatever reason, God hung responsibility for priestly leadership on us. If our families don't seem to understand what's helpful and respectful, we probably failed somehow, maybe by our own example or maybe by our inattention to our leadership responsibilities.

It makes me thankful for a wife who makes the whole headship thing easy; she doesn't need much leadership but she also doesn't resent it when I try. That's probably why I've never had to sort out what I really think on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment