Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Working for free

When I was a boy, I wondered if there was such a thing as magic. After all, magicians did a lot of things that seemed like magic. Maybe my parents were just too close-minded to see what was really going on.

Now, of course, I know that stage magicians use misdirection. I wonder sometimes if Paul doesn't do that too.

In the first part of 1 Cor 9 he makes a big point out of the support he has a right to expect from the Corinthian church. Then he goes on like this (v12), "But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ."

First thought: Why go on about it if you don't want it anyway? And Paul doesn't: (v15) "But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me. I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of this boast."

Is Paul just a show-off? I don't think so - he says he can't really boast of his preaching, because he is simply discharging the trust God laid on him. I think the build-up, the misdirection, was just to make his point more powerful; because you expect him to ask for money, you're surprised when he doesn't, and want to figure out why not.

I think Paul may be trying to make this point: That even though he has a right to expect food and lodging and maybe a little pocket money from the church, he doesn't want it because he wants everyone to clearly understand his motivation.

Paul isn't empire-building, he's a faithful servant. He's not making a living, he's sharing a passion. He's a man on a mission, a holy quest. And his refusal to take money helps in his mission in two ways.

First, Paul isn't trying to get something, so people won't refuse the message because of the cost. It's sometimes easy, isn't it, to question the motives of an organization like the Barnabas Foundation because we know they'd like some of our money. Paul wants to take that dynamic out of play.

Second, Paul sets a sterling example of selflessness. No one can say to Paul, "You ask too much." Paul never asked anyone to live a more self-sacrificial life than his.

Examine Paul's motives all you want, but there's not even a hint of self anywhere. Can I say that?

No comments:

Post a Comment