Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bad company

These days, being bad is good. We say that girls like bad boys, we like songs about being bad to the bone. And what kid doesn't want to be the baddest player on the field?

Paul reminds us that our attraction to bad is flirtation with the world. In 1 Corinthians 15:33 he says 'Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.'"He's referring especially to those Christians who are saying, "Let's live it up, because tomorrow we die."

Like us, the Corinthian Christians were easy prey to any argument that let them stay in the church yet live in the world. A good Christian excuse to party was just what they wanted to hear. But Paul won't tolerate that sort of nonsense. "Come to your senses and stop sinning," he says (v34).

It's easy to miss the obvious implication here: Good character is important to God. He wants His people to wear His colors, to proclaim allegiance to Him as proudly as we do to a school or sports team. God's people are good people; love is the distinguishing characteristic of a Jesus follower.

It may seem harmless to me to hang out for a couple hours with some old Army buddies, or to go out with un-churched business associates when I'm out of town. But Paul is warning me here that those people will eventually rub off on me, Notice his language is direct and un-mistakable: bad company corrupts. No maybes, no waffling or caveats. Bad company will do that every time.

Of course, if my good character is important to God, I must attend to it in more than just the negative. While I'm guarding it from being corrupted, I should also be working on increasing the goodness of my character.

There's a reason for Paul's concern with the point, which he tells us in verse 34: "for there are some who are ignorant of God –I say this to your shame." The fields are waiting for God's harvest and you're partying with your worldly friends, Paul says. Shame on you. His guidance to me is clear: stop fooling around and get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment