Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Guest post: Memories

[Note: Kristin Brouwer is a daughter of my home church. She's currently in Pella, IA, teaching if memory serves (if not, sorry, Kristin). She graciously granted permission for me to repost this devotional she wrote on 9/11, which I found to be especially thought-provoking.]

Friends- 
Deuteronomy 4:9 Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

 Why did God create memories?  God isn’t one to do things haphazardly, or to be surprised that something turned out the way it did.  It stands to reason, then that he created our memories for a purpose.  I believe that one of God’s greatest gifts to us is the gift of memory or recollection.  We all have so many amazing memories of our trip to Israel together last summer.  Memories can bring to mind pleasant thoughts of things we have done and remind ourselves how far we have come.  But, not every memory is pleasant; in fact some are horribly painful.  This weekend we are remembering 10 years ago the tragedy and terror of 9-11.  Even a memory like this steeped in sorrows serves a purpose because we experience God’s healing, past hurts take on a precious ache instead of an outright pain.  They are evidence of God’s gentle, personal touch that tells us he knows what we’ve been through and the thoughts that are forever imprinted with us. We need to make all of our memories—all of them, positive and negative---purposeful by letting his forgiveness and healing remind you of his Spirit working in you.  Take joy in knowing your memories with God let you know you are continually changing to reflect HIS likeness. 

So this weekend with 9-11 I am not asking where was I when it happened or where was God but rather asking where am I now on 9-11-11?  What God moments have we seen?  What grace have we given or experienced?  Do I love well? I personally have a love and passion for Muslims (thanks to my professor) that I have never had before.   I myself have come to the realization that the world is place of amazing beauty and awe-inspiring love.  But, the world is also a fortress of unspeakable and disgusting evil.   In light of this my prayer and hope is that we all realize that we have the highest calling and responsibility in the universe- to make disciples who make disciples.            

The memories of 9-11 were some of the darkest days many of us have lived through in the United States.  Let the dark memories of this great tragedy remind of us the incredible promise we have in Jesus: “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life” (John 8:12)” 

Our nation, our cities, our schools, and so many people need this light that leads to life. We must SHINE and CARRY  the light with us wherever we go. Whether that is at a volleyball game, the grocery store, our workplaces, Haiti, or our own homes.  So that when others find themselves or we find ourselves in a dark place may others say those Jesus followers (disciples) were here when I needed them most.  
Blessings!  
Kristin Brouwer

No comments:

Post a Comment