Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Love motive


It's all about our motives.

Paul starts his famous Love Chapter in 1 Corinthians (13) by making that point. (vv1-3)"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing."

Wow, really? Speaking in tongues, prophecy, knowledge of all mysteries, faith than can move mountains, complete material sacrifice? Those are some impressive capabilities and actions. Those ought to be worth something regardless of motive.

But Paul says without love, those capable Christians are just clanging cymbals, who are nothing and gain nothing.

Harsh? Not really, because the love motive makes our actions all about other people. Without love, we do things for our own gain, and what person on earth isn't ready to use all his talents and gifts to promote himself? Noting special about that.

Our actions, especially in service to God's kingdom, only have significance if we do them selflessly. That's why Paul calls it "the most excellent way."

That suggests that a kind word and a smile, done in love, is better than roofing an entire house after we argue about whether that person deserves it, or whether her family could afford to have it done for her. It means that a cup of coffee as a loving gesture from my wife means more than an entire meal slammed on the table (I think, that's never happened to me.)

It means that church leadership done grudgingly and only out of compulsion doesn't help people or honor God. It means all the things we do to check boxes are a waste of time if we don't love the people we're doing them for.

Love as an action verb. How inconvenient. How like Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment