Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Prophesy

I love Paul's bluntness. Continuing his train of thought regarding spiritual gifts (remember, he said try to prophesy because it helps others more than speaking in tongues?) he says if you just speak in tongues, people might think you're crazy.

Really. 1 Cor 14:23: "So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?" 

As usual, Paul puts his finger right on the tender spot. Speaking in tongues is one of those gifts that doesn't really help others in worship. In fact, Paul says it's a sign for outsiders, to convince them that something special is going on. It's not a sign for believers (v22).

That doesn't mean tongues is an undesirable gift. Paul spoke in tongues, more than anyone else, he says, and he was greatly blessed by it. But in the context of loving others, he says that some spiritual gifts are more helpful in group settings because they are understandable.

He makes this point: Worship with your spirit, but also with your mind. Your mind lets you know what's going on, explain it, make it understandable. Your spirit makes things real to you, helps you to feel them, makes you passionate. We need both.

I need to think about that. I'm pretty cautious about emotions, especially in church. It's not so much a concern for propriety as maybe I'm worried people will see me for the weak person I really am. That's why all this Spirit stuff is threatening. 

That, too, needs to be considered in the context of loving those around me. What serves them best? How does it help them if I try to seem invincible? How are they edified if I show no passion? What is there for them to relate to if I don't admit my weakness and need?

I don't want people to think I'm crazy. But I do what them to be able to sense my need, and to be comfortable acknowledging theirs. I do want to be joyous, and maybe act that way once in awhile. 

Jacen used to have a happy dance, and I used to do it with him. Maybe that's a spiritual gift; after all, what church wouldn't be better with a happy dance?

No comments:

Post a Comment