Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Anointing

I've written this blog from day one (152 posts now, and counting) simply as my own reflection on scripture. I don't research, don't check other sources, don't even look at the notes. This blog is a journal of my attempt to understand God. Sometimes, I wonder if that doesn't open me up to error, and to giving bad ideas to any readers I might have.

But then I read this (1 John 2:26-27): "I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit–just as it has taught you, remain in him."

John seems to be saying, "I've written a lot about these anti-christs, who would love to trick you. But don't worry too much; you have an anointing, and that means you can figure it out on your own." The anointing, of course, is the Holy Spirit, who counsels me about everything.

So, when someone tries to tell me something about God, the Spirit will wave a red flag if it's false. When I meditate prayerfully on  scripture, the Spirit will help me to see what God is telling me. When I don't know what to do and pray for guidance, the Spirit will nudge me in the right direction. When I'm fearful and need strength, the Spirit will give me the spirit of a lion.

This is Jesus' parting gift to his followers: He gave us this anointing. He sent us a Paraclete (in the lingo of the time, a paraclete was a defense attorney; the actual word means "one who comes alongside - I have that from RC Sproul.) I have the best advisor in the world. All I have to do is listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment