Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, September 9, 2013

No-Fault Failure

Other than running, I never was much of an athlete. Some in my family were, and they’ve offered plenty of amateur coaching meant to help me perform better. But I guess there’s something in my mental makeup that resists coaching. I can stand on the tee-box, envision the perfect drive, line up my feet, position the ball correctly, tuck in my elbows, blah, blah, blah. And rip a worm-burner off into the left rough, just ahead of the ladies’ tee. I can see it in my head, I just don’t do it.

 

That’s what life is like for me. I know what right looks like, I mean well, but the results often aren’t what I wanted. That’s why I find comfort in 1 John 2:1-2: “My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.”

 

It’s like John knows me. He didn’t, but the God who inspired his letter does. He knows that despite my best intentions, I am going to sin. I never accept my failure as pre-ordained; in fact, I succeed more than I fail. But I fail daily. Don’t try to, but I do.

 

When that happens, God sees and judges. But Jesus is right there, John says, and he speaks up. “Yeah, Greg blew it again, but he’s one of mine and I’ve got a tab running for my people. That’s what the cross is all about. True, Greg’s racked up a lot of debt but there’s still enough in my account to cover it. He’s clear with you, Father, and he’s worth it to me.”

 

What I don’t get is this: Why would anyone put their faith anywhere else? Jesus’ account is enough to cover everyone, but it only covers those who believe in his sacrifice. Way too many don’t.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment