Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, September 27, 2013

Confident and Unashamed

I remember a time when I was in high school when my parents went away overnight and left me and my older brother, also in high school, at home. This was unusual, so don't think too badly of them. I don't remember what we did, but I remember being really nervous when Mom and Dad came back home. Would they be happy with the house? Would they be disappointed with us? Had we, without realizing it, done something really stupid?

Now, as an adult, I face frequent audits at work, and every time I think of that old high school memory, because the feeling is the same. 

So what am I going to feel when Jesus comes? Somehow, I'm not thinking confident and unashamed, but John says I should. In 1 John 2:28-29 he wrote, "And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming. If you know that he is righteous, you know that everyone who does what is right has been born of him."

It's easy, John says. Instead of being enticed away by the worldly anti-christs, I just have to continue in Jesus, meaning do what's right in the light of His righteousness. That's it. Do that, and I can feel confident before even the Lord of the Universe.

Simple in the saying and understanding. Nearly impossible in the doing. Except every time I get it wrong, it's already been made right by Jesus' blood sacrifice. So as long as I'm trying there's no way to really get it wrong, at least not in a salvation sense. Not so hard after all, praise God!



No comments:

Post a Comment