Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, September 6, 2013

Light and Darkness

I ran in the dark this morning. Actually, there were street lights on parts of my route, but on other parts there was no light and I ran in the darkness. If I strained, I could still see my way, but I had to slow down to keep from going off the sidewalk. If a car came by and blinded me, I couldn’t see anything, and more than once I had to stop and wait.

 

That was my context when I read 1 John 1:5-7 a little later on: “This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.” God is light; the more light I have, the more boldly and swiftly I go because my footing is sure and my course is obvious.

 

Why, then, do I sometimes choose to walk in the dark? Somewhere else in scripture (Romans, maybe?) it says that men choose darkness to hide what they’re doing. Do I do that? Sometimes, I guess. But mostly, I think, I just go into the dark because I’m curious. I want to see what’s there. I want to know what everyone is talking about. But walking the unlit streets is a choice to move away from God.

 

Darkness can’t coexist with light; light pushes away darkness. If I go with God, I can’t even go into the dark. God’s very presence chases away sin like Light scares cockroaches. That means in order to find sin, even just for a curious look, I have to leave God to get there. That’s a stupid choice; you can get hurt alone in the dark.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment