Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, September 13, 2013

Blind Hate

There's something about strong emotion that makes it hard to think straight, or see right. That's why we say love is blind; people in love can miss, or at least overlook, flaws that seem obvious to the desert of us. But hate can be more blinding than love.

In 1 John 2:9, John writes, "Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble. But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him."

I've known people who lost their jobs or spent their savings going after someone they hated. When we get that passionate, it's anyone's guess what we might do. Worse, it's clear proof that we're walking in darkness.

I say "we" because I think we all get blinded by hatred more than we think. I do. I can wish someone would just find another church. I can hate people I've never met, just based on the news. When I get that way, my thoughts, and sometimes words or actions, are the opposite of the fruits of the spirit.

We have to remember that our God isn't just loving, he is love itself. He's the thing that gives the word "love" meaning. That's why hate blinds; it keeps us from seeing others as God does.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment