Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, September 16, 2013

Dear Children

After talking about walking in light instead of darkness, and the new command that is the same as the old one (obey God), John takes a minute to talk to his audience, and the first group he addresses as "children." I'm not sure if he means little children, or children of God; there are other places where he starts sentences by saying "Dear children." But since he addresses young men and fathers later on, I'm thinking he means kids. And here's what he says to them (1 John 2:12-13):
"I write to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name. . . . I write to you, dear children, because you have known the Father."

Your sins have been forgiven and you have know the Father? Your sins have been forgiven because you have known the Father? I'm not sure, and I'm not sure it makes a difference. They are secure in the Father's love, all wrongs atoned for, and because of that John writes to them about this new command. "You have good reason to obey the new command, to follow Jesus out of love and gratitude," John seems to be saying. John knows these are people touched by the gospel, people who know their great good fortune. He has chosen his audience carefully.

I have the same reason. My sins have been forgiven on account of Jesus' name. I have known the Father - Jesus said whoever knows Jesus knows the one who sent Him. I have been disciplined and comforted by the Father. What response can there be but love and gratitude? John's words are for me, the new command and the old, are for me. The admonitions about light and darkness are for me. That's the great wonder of the gospel: every word, though written centuries ago to people long dead, are also spoken fresh each time I read them, spoken by God for my ears, and my heart. Love and gratitude, indeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment