Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

by name


I read one of my favorite passages this morning, one I often use for God’s greeting when I lead worship. Here it is, the Lord speaking to his people from Isaiah 43:1-3:

“‘Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior . . . .’”

Today, with the devastation of Hurricane Harvey and the continuing threat of fire in Montana and other places out west, these words seem especially significant. People here at home and around the globe are being tested in the water and fire, and, as he has promised, God is right there with them.

I think I like the realism of this promise. God doesn’t say my life will be easy. He doesn’t use the word “if.” What he says is that when the trouble comes, I won’t face it alone. When the danger threatens, I will still be secure. When events make me fear, God will grant me peace.

That’s not just a commitment by God to his people; it’s God’s vow to me. He summoned me by name, verse 3 says. He knew me personally, called me individually, and makes this promise to me as a person. He says, “Greg, there isn’t a thing you’ll face alone in all of your life. No matter what happens, Greg Steggerda, you’ll be fine because it will be you and me together. And I’ll make sure none of it touches you, if you just keep holding on to me.” This is literally a promise with my name on it.

I am loved and called to an intimate relationship by a personal God. What an amazing thing that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment