Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, September 28, 2017

deceitful tongues

Psalm 120:2-4: “Save me, Lord,
from lying lips
and from deceitful tongues.
What will he do to you,
and what more besides,
you deceitful tongue?
He will punish you with a warrior’s sharp arrows,
with burning coals of the broom bush.”
I usually read Psalms and associate myself with the writer. This morning, I had to wonder.
My first thought is that I haven’t often been the target of slander campaigns. Whether those who know me are just too nice, or I’m not important enough – probably both – being the target of deceitful tongues hasn’t been a problem for me. It’s hard to put myself in the Psalmist’s shoes.
When that happens, I usually ask, “Lord, what’s here for me? I don’t relate.” As I was doing that in response to this Psalm, I got a clear answer in the form of a counter-question: are those lying lips mine?
I don’t think of myself as a liar; in fact, I’m usually careful only to make statements that are factually true. I’m known at my workplace for going overboard to correct myself if I ever put out inaccurate information.
Yet . . . there’s a nagging feeling that I might have something in common with the bad guys in this Psalm. Outright lies I don’t typically do, but am I capable of being deceitful in other ways? I want to say, No! I’m an honest person who prides himself on integrity.
Yet . . . might I sometimes present only information I think will help people reach the right conclusion? Am I willing to pass on stories that I don’t personally know to be true if they reinforce my position? Am I critical about things I retweet or repost or share, making sure they represent reality or promote good thinking?
I think, in keeping with the spirit of the age, I may sometimes be too willing to stack the deck in favor of my own argument, by cherry-picking the data or by drowning out alternate views. I might be the problem I claim to hate.
On the other hand, I can be the change I wish to see. I think a loving commitment to truth, always and in all ways, is a basic requirement of Jesus-followers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment