Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

watchmen


I think my name means something like Watchman by the Brook. Various sources say that Gregory means watcher, watchful one, or watchman. I’m told that, when translating Dutch names, “da” means by. Further, stegger is supposed to be a small stream. I put it all together and get Watchman by the Brook, or maybe Watcher by the Brook.

That pleases me. I like to think I’m a student, or watcher, of life, and one of my favorite pastimes is watching birds. My parents did a good job naming me. 

This morning, though, as I read in Isaiah 56, I wasn’t feeling as good. Isaiah talks about Israel’s watchmen, and I think by that he means those who are supposed to be alert and attentive on behalf of his people. In modern terms, I would read this passage as one that applies to God’s faithful people who should be watching for his coming, maybe, or maybe the leaders of the church who should be helping the people see threats to the faith. 

Either way, it could apply to me, so I didn’t feel good when I read verses 9-12: 
“Come, all you beasts of the field,
come and devour, all you beasts of the forest!
Israel’s watchmen are blind,
they all lack knowledge;
they are all mute dogs,
they cannot bark;
they lie around and dream,
they love to sleep.
They are dogs with mighty appetites;
they never have enough.
They are shepherds who lack understanding;
they all turn to their own way,
they seek their own gain.
“Come,” each one cries, “let me get wine!
Let us drink our fill of beer!
And tomorrow will be like today,
or even far better.”

Is that a description of leaders in a church that has lost its way? Is this a warning to those who lead my church, including me, as to what bad leadership looks like? 

I can think of nationally known church leaders who seem to seek their own gain, to be focused on the good life more than a life of faith. They seem to have mighty appetites that are never satisfied, and as a result their flocks might be easy prey for the beasts of the field.

Anyone who leads (which is any mom, dad, big brother or sister, elder, deacon, pastor, teacher or friend who has one person looking at them to see how to behave) should take this passage to heart. Our responsibility to God’s people is to keep faithful watch, over them and for dangers to them. How can we do that if our daily call (figuratively or literally) is, “Let me get wine!”

No comments:

Post a Comment