Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, September 8, 2017

engraved


For a fire-and-brimstone prophet, Isaiah had some comforting things to say. One of my favorites, another passage I often use as God’s greeting when I lead worship, is from Isaiah 49:15-16:

“‘Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget,
I will not forget you!
See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
your walls are ever before me.’”

This image of a love stronger than a mother’s always touches me, because I watched my wife mother our children with the same tender selflessness she now shows our grandchildren. It’s hard to imagine anyone loving me that much, although I know my Mom does; that God loves me even more is mind-blowing.

On top of that, he has carved my name into his palms; more than just a tattoo, he has used something like a knife or acid to engrave my name where he will always see it. He was willing to go through the pain and disfigure himself permanently as his commitment to remember me forever. Even though it’s all metaphor, it was still the way God chose to explain how he loves me.

There’s no room in this to ever feel sorry for myself; no matter how hard I think my life is, I am not forgotten. God remembers me, he’s watching and aware; he’ll intervene as soon as it looks like I’ll need it. In the meantime, he knows he’s equipped me already to deal with a lot.

When I don’t see him, it doesn’t mean he’s not there. It just means I’m not looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment