Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

ignorant nothing


There is a kind of person who is an ignorant nothing. I know, we’re not supposed to say mean things like that, but I’m just repeating what God said. Here it is, in Isaiah 44:9-10:

“All who make idols are nothing,
and the things they treasure are worthless.
Those who would speak up for them are blind;
they are ignorant, to their own shame.
Who shapes a god and casts an idol,
which can profit nothing?”

Later in Isaiah 44 the prophet talks about a man who cuts a log from a tree. Half of it he burns for heat, and he carves an idol from the other half. This man, evidently a common figure of that day, literally was worshiping firewood! A man like that, according to this passage, is ignorant. He’s nothing.

Good thing I’d never do that. I’d never put my hope in a created thing instead of the creator. I’d never look to a politician for my safety. I’d never find security in my job. I’d never pin my hopes for good health on food. I wouldn’t do any of those things, would I?

It’s worth remembering in this time of talking heads and celebrity evangelical spokespersons that those who would speak for these modern-day idols are ignorant, and those who would attempt to make idols of these things are nothing.

It’s a good reminder to me that the true voices for God, the true prophets of our age, are the ones who speak Christ crucified and nothing else. Only the Prince of Peace can save us, and anyone who says anything else is an ignorant nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment