Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

celebrate

There are many aspects to God - he is love, he judges, he is my father, he provides. Leviticus 23 reveals that he is also a God of celebration.

The first two verse of that chapter read, “The Lord said to Moses, ‘Speak to the Israelites and say to them: “These are my appointed festivals, the appointed festivals of the Lord, which you are to proclaim as sacred assemblies.”’”

Then God goes on to list eight festivals celebrating the harvest, commemorating special events, marking the time of national atonement, and providing a time of rest.

It’s interesting to think that God took so much care to ensure that his people took holidays. But I also note that each of these festivals focused his people back on him in some way of remembrance or thanksgiving. What they celebrate always is God’s goodness.

And something else: the very first festival on the list is the weekly Sabbath, the day of rest and sacred assembly. Does Sunday feel like celebration to you? It doesn’t always to me; sometimes it feels like a drag - so many restrictions.

Reading all this made me feel good. It made me think that this earthly life, this struggle to stay obedient in a world hostile to God’s people, is really filled with days and weeks that are joyful. It made me think that God wants me to have these periods of fun and fellowship.

But, if you read the chapter, one thing stands out: part of every one of these festivals is the sacred assembly. The best way to celebrate anything is in the same things that get us through the hard times: fellowship and worship with the church.

That’s why I feel sad for people who don’t belong to one. Or who choose not to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment