Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, February 22, 2016

no retirement

I wonder what went through Moses’ mind when God gave him his last job. 

Moses had led quite a life. Floated on the Nile in a basket as a baby, raised in the palace, a murderer and fugitive as a young man, years spent herding sheep in the desert, then a return to Egypt as a rebel leader, and more than 40 years commanding God’s people during their wanderings. Now, when they are about to enter the promised land, God says, "Take vengeance on the Midianites for the Israelites. After that, you will be gathered to your people." (Numbers 31:2.)

Moses knew already he wasn’t going to enter Canaan with the Israelites - God had announced that long ago. But still, after everything, one more battle, one more people to subdue, and then that was it. Did Moses feel tired? Regretful? Resentful? Or just glad it was over, glad it was time to enter God’s rest?

I can imagine some of all of that, because I can easily feel that way. Not that I’m ready to kick off any time soon, but I’ve been known to say, “Really? I’m not doing enough? I haven’t already done enough? Lord, you’re going to suck everything out of my life and leave nothing for me.”

Which is exactly the point. Life is supposed to be not about serving myself, but about serving God by serving others. And that would make me happier, if I just let it. I have to acknowledge that most of the unhappiness, the stress, the anxiety I have had has been because I want things for myself. I’ve never felt those things when I was doing ministry.

Right up to his death Moses kept getting big assignments from God, and he faithfully carried them out. I need to think about that when my friends are all talking about early retirement so we can spend decades on the golf course.

No comments:

Post a Comment