Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, February 5, 2016

unclean

It’s a hard truth that I don’t like: This world can pollute my soul.

I think that’s one reason God made so many laws about cleanness in the Old Testament. For example, in Leviticus 11:44-45, he said this about what animals the Israelites could eat: “I am the Lord your God; consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am holy. Do not make yourselves unclean by any creature that moves along the ground. I am the Lord, who brought you up out of Egypt to be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy.”

Later on God would give Peter permission to eat these animals, so the problem wasn’t with any potential health consequences. I think God was communicating the principle that some things that would look good to us, and would be done by those around us, would compromise our holiness.

It’s easy to look past the things that draw me closer to God, and want the things that won’t. I look past the blessing of Sabbath rest and wish I could work, or shop. I look past the fellowship and support found in Bible study groups and prefer the flexibility of keeping my schedule open. I look past the joy found in quiet, sober living and think my partying, nightlife friends are having more fun than I am. I look past the providence of my moderate home and small pickup and JC Penney wardrobe and envy the guys with mansions, Escalades and bespoke suits.

Beware the things of this world that distract us from God. Consecrate yourselves, the verse says, and that means set yourself apart for holy purposes. Be holy, because God is holy.

What exactly does that mean? I don’t know how to define it, but I know it in my heart. I can feel when something is right or isn’t. That’s the counsel of the Holy Spirit, and I need to listen more closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment