Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

wealth

A lot of Americans struggle with principles of wealth, especially since it’s a topic in our national election. How rich is too rich? What is the best way to help the poor? Is redistribution of wealth a good idea?

Part of my reading this morning was Numbers 36, in which God clarifies his instructions about property among the Israelites. In particular, I found myself thinking about verse 7: “No inheritance in Israel is to pass from one tribe to another, for every Israelite shall keep the tribal inheritance of their ancestors.”

God’s law allowed renting, or temporary sale, of property, buy permanent rights couldn’t be transferred. All land went back to the original owning family during the year of Jubilee.

What should I conclude from this? At a minimum, it seems that God desires a basic level of equity. Among his people there would be none who had no land. And there would be no one who had a lot of land.

It seems to me that a part of the issue relates to opportunity. Land was central to the economy of the day; even most raw materials for craftsmen came from the land. God’s way meant that every family had the means to provide for itself and contribute to society. Ambitious people couldn’t control it all.

So I guess there is such a thing as too much wealth. And I conclude (reluctantly) that government does have a role in ensuring that everyone has a minimum level of provision and opportunity.

I’m not sure what that means for my daily behaviors, but I know it has to start with attitude change. There is potential for abuse in unrestrained capitalism, so I need to give thoughtful consideration to the merits of proposed controls. And entitlements in some form are not only necessary, they can conform to Godly principles, so I shouldn’t turn up my nose at them or those who need them.

And it’s also Biblical that from those who have much, much will be expected. I have much. Many people have much more. The system shouldn’t be stacked to our advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment