Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

civic responsibility


I know that I can’t read the book of Leviticus and think I’m supposed to literally do what it says. The time of blood sacrifices and certain eating prohibitions and ceremonial uncleanness is past.

I also know that it’s important to read Leviticus because the principles behind God’s instructions still apply. God doesn’t change, and neither does his guidance.

So I feel conflicted when I read Leviticus 5:1: “'If anyone sins because they do not speak up when they hear a public charge to testify regarding something they have seen or learned about, they will be held responsible.”

I prefer to stay out of things. I don’t want to speak up regarding accusations people make against each other. I don’t want to get involved, I just want to keep my head down.

I want to interpret this verse narrowly and say, “Well, if I ever know something about a court case or legal charge, of course I’ll speak up.” I suspect, though, that God is telling me something about my responsibility as a citizen. I suspect that when there is public discourse on issues where I can speak truth from my own experience, I’m called to do that.

That means I can’t avoid those conversations on entitlements anymore, not when I work with so many young mothers struggling even with a little help and a job. I can’t avoid those conversations about immigration, because I have legal immigrant friends who have illegal immigrant family members here too, and I know why and what they face. When so many just repeat what they’ve heard, I can speak from experience and by doing so add some of the nuance that makes these issues way more complex than just building a wall and making Mexico pay for it.

If I don’t speak up, this verse says, then I bear some responsibility for the bad answers society comes up with. Once again, responsible citizenship and obedient service are the same thing.

Good to remember in an election year.

No comments:

Post a Comment