Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

rebellion

What is it in us that makes us resent our leaders? What makes us prefer total freedom and no accountability? Why do we hate to follow other people?

It’s a form of pride, I think, that no one else is better than me. It’s exactly the same attitude that led to rebellion and a lot of sorrow in the Israelite camp. 

It started with Korah, Dathan and Abiram. “They came as a group to oppose Moses and Aaron and said to them, ‘You have gone too far! The whole community is holy, every one of them, and the Lord is with them. Why then do you set yourselves above the Lord's assembly?’" (Numbers 16:3).

God responded to that challenge by opening the ground to swallow these three men, their families, and all they owned. He burned to ash their 250 followers. And when the people complained that Moses was too bloodthirsty, he sent a plague that only stopped when 14,700 were dead, and Moses and Aaron interceded with God to end it.

And after all that, it still took a miracle (Aaron’s staff budded, bloomed and produced almonds) before the people would accept that Aaron and Moses were God’s chosen leaders for them.

In another part of scripture, I’m urged to show respect and loyalty to my superiors, regardless of whether they treat me nicely or even follow God. God is consistent in this matter of following my leaders. There isn’t a place where the Bible tells me it’s OK to overthrow or oppose a legitimate leader.

I’m sometimes going to have to follow people I disagree with, and watch them do things I think are wrong. That’s hard, but if I recognize that a big part of my response is arrogance (I know better) and pride (I am better), I can see that a more humble attitude would be appropriate.

Anarchy would rule if any of us could defy any leader we don’t like. Chaos would be the norm if we all did whatever we please. Part of following Christ is promoting good order in society by following our leaders, or following lawful processes to replace them. Once again, faithful obedience and good citizenship require the same things.

No comments:

Post a Comment