Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

unauthorized

The end doesn’t justify the means.

That old, old saying is a hard sell these days. We tend to be expedient. I do what works most effectively. I don’t very often think of the principle behind the rule, I just think of how following it doesn’t seem necessary at the moment. So I speed, and make illegal U turns, and put computer parts in the dumpster, and all kinds of other things I shouldn’t.

I shouldn’t because behind every rule there’s a principle. Traffic laws exist for safety and conservation reasons, so even if it looks like I can break one without too much risk, I still should be concerned over emissions and fuel economy. Improper disposal of universal waste will poison the planet; I can think my little item won’t make a difference, but the act demonstrates my selfishness and lack of concern for future generations.

Even more, there’s the larger principle that my rule breaking, if observed, reinforces other people’s inclination to break the rules.

Often we break the rules trying to do good things. That was the case for Nadab and Abihu in Leviticus 10:1-3: “Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the Lord, contrary to his command. So fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord. Moses then said to Aaron, ‘This is what the Lord spoke of when he said: “Among those who approach me I will be proved holy; in the sight of all the people I will be honored.”’

As a Christian, most of the time right living is less about what I do than how I do it. God doesn’t just want a result, he wants faithful hearts that care about principles.

No comments:

Post a Comment