Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Do the work

Recently I had reason to do a reset on life, and to try to better organize all the work I have to get done. I was actually impressed and kind of intimidated at the number and scope of important projects I have going. Some are personal, some are professional. A few are self-assigned. But I’m trying to do some pretty big things.

My first reaction was to shrink away. I’m not that great. I’m not that talented. I’m not sure I want to work that hard. 

Then I read David’s advice to Solomon as he passed along one of the biggest projects Solomon would do in his life, an assignment from God. Solomon was to build God’s temple. David said this:  "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the Lord is finished.” 1 Chronicles 28:20.

Those words are amazingly reassuring. They tell me that, so long as I’m working for God, no job is too big or too hard or will take too long. Even me, with my self-centeredness and intermittent laziness, can do great things.

There’s a saying about  how to eat an elephant: one bite at a time. Work is that way. If I recognize that God sustains me, I can get a lot done one day at a time, one task at a time. 

Trust and obey, as the song says. Lord, help me do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment