Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

prophesying

David’s wars are over. He’s nation-building now, putting in place all the administrative and governance pieces the country needs. And he does one thing I’m having trouble understanding.

1 Chronicles 25:1 says, “David, together with the commanders of the army, set apart some of the sons of Asaph, Heman and Jeduthun for the ministry of prophesying, accompanied by harps, lyres and cymbals.”

I kind of get prophesying as a ministry, but I thought God called prophets. I didn’t know a king could name them, and sent their budget, and define their work.

And then, what do the commanders of the army have to do with it? This isn’t a military government, so I wouldn’t expect them to stray very far from their professional focus. Is it because they saw prophesy as critical to success in battle?

Finally, why the musical accompaniment? Sung prophesy? How does that work?

Obviously my understanding of prophesy isn’t correct. It makes me wonder if there isn’t more to church music than I think. It makes me wonder if some of the people who write that music are prophets. Maybe part of their gift is the ability to make us see what God is doing and will do.

It seems likely that one thing we’re told in this verse is that we need to hear God’s voice if we’re to effectively govern, make war, and worship. It follows that we need that same guidance to lead families, manage households and participate in church life.

We need prophets, those people who can legitimately proclaim, “Thus saith the Lord!” Who are they? Probably pastors, but who else? I want to start paying more attention to what they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment