Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, April 29, 2016

enough, or excessive?

How much is enough? When Nelson Rockefeller, one of the richest men in America at the time, was asked how much money was enough, he supposedly answered, “Just a little bit more.”

As a young man, this question was only academic. I barely had enough to pay bills, and then have children, and then pay tuition. But these days I’ve been blessed with more money than I really need to get by. So what’s the right thing to do with it?

The problem with focusing your wealth on yourself is pretty soon you start spending it in ways that look ridiculous to ordinary people. This morning I read about the greatness of Solomon, and this passage from 2 Chronicles 9:17-19 made me cringe: “Then the king made a great throne covered with ivory and overlaid with pure gold. The throne had six steps, and a footstool of gold was attached to it. On both sides of the seat were armrests, with a lion standing beside each of them. Twelve lions stood on the six steps, one at either end of each step. Nothing like it had ever been made for any other kingdom.”

Solomon taxed the people with a heavy hand, and exacted tribute from a bunch of other countries. And one of the things he used that money for was the fanciest throne a king had ever had.

You’ve probably heard the saying that God doesn’t give us more so we can increase our standard of living, but our standard of giving. That’s why the concept of enough is critical for me. How much house is enough? We just built a 1,400 square foot home and sometimes I think it’s more than we need. How much car? I drive a little 11-year-old pick-up, but I live less than a mile from work. Should I be driving at all? 

How about groceries? Vacations? Clothes - does any man really need 20 hats? Or, my personal downfall, technology? Dawn is very satisfied with her phone, even though there are three generations of “better” phones out there. I have a new phone and am getting itchy because there’s a newer model coming out.

What’s the right amount to spend on myself? I believe God blesses some people with the ability to earn money because ministry needs to be funded. Am I moving into that category?

My money goes where my heart is. It shames me that I have so many ivory thrones in my life.

1 comment:

  1. To quote colleague Donald Roth: "Christian discernment isn't ultimately about making rules for ourselves that make holiness easier, it's about the hard and humbling work of daily denying ourselves to follow him."
    Thanks again for pushing me to think about priorities and my calling from God.

    ReplyDelete