Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, April 7, 2016

protection, not restriction

Of all the destructive forces in the world, Solomon’s wives have to rank near the top in terms of the damage they did. 

1 Kings 11 details in the first verses Solomon’s seven hundred wives and three hundred concubines. We’re told of all the pagan altars Solomon built so his various wives could worship the gods they grew up with. You see, most of Solomon’s wives were from pagan nations. In fact, we’re told in verse 2 that they were women that the Israelites were forbidden to marry. But scripture tells us Solomon was bound to them in love.

It made God mad, so God split the kingdom and gave 10 tribes to another king. Only Judah remained faithful to Rehoboam, the son of Solomon. But not to God. 1 Kings 14:23-24 says, “They also set up for themselves high places, sacred stones and Asherah poles on every high hill and under every spreading tree. There were even male shrine prostitutes in the land; the people engaged in all the detestable practices of the nations the Lord had driven out before the Israelites.”

Solomon, the son of David. Rehoboam, the grandson of David. These were the men who led Israel into idolatry. They were the third and fourth kings the Israelites ever had. In the forty years Solomon ruled, Israel became a world power and also a pagan nation. All because Solomon loved his many wives.

Centuries of misery were in store for God’s people, because one of God’s commands was violated. The wisdom of that command is made obvious by the consequences of breaking it.

I don’t like some of the restrictions God seems to put on me. On my more bitter days I might think of my faith as something that keeps me from enjoying life. Sometimes I’d like to be more like my fellow Americans. Sometimes I get tired of trying to swim against the currents.

But that’s because I want to love the world like Solomon loved his wives. I’m reminded this morning that Solomon’s wives destroyed his kingdom. God’s rule about marrying pagans wasn’t given just to impose his will, to require the Israelites to do a hard thing to serve him. He made the rule to keep his people from a dangerous, self-destructive act. 

God’s law isn’t restriction; it’s protection. When I see that, it’s a lot easier to obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment