Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

worship music

I tend to like musicians - my wife is one. In addition to playing piano or organ most services, she also plans worship for our church. As a result, we have a lot of good music in our services.

Although I never thought much about it, I probably would have said that was our preference. But this morning, still slogging through the genealogies at the start of 1 Chronicles, I came across these verses: “These are the men David put in charge of the music in the house of the Lord after the ark came to rest there. They ministered with music before the tabernacle, the tent of meeting, until Solomon built the temple of the Lord in Jerusalem. They performed their duties according to the regulations laid down for them.” (1Ch 6:31-32) 

The men listed were called to music ministry in the same way that the other Levites were called to priestly duty. Not only were they called, but their ministry was regulated, presumably by God since he was the one who laid down all the temple laws.

I’ve always been proud of my wife but this made me a little prouder. Her work follows in the footsteps of faithful servants from the earliest days of the church, when the people worshiped in a tent. 

This suggests that rather than just a choice, music is a necessity to good worship. Why? 

I wonder if it’s because music is appreciated first of all emotionally. Preaching, reading and prayer can be intellectual, especially to a person inclined to logic rather than emotion. Could it be that true worship requires, maybe even is primarily, emotion? Could it be that worship is better when it includes the beauty of the arts along with the logic of theology?

I don’t know why, but it’s enough to know that God not only wanted, he commanded music for worship. We need to encourage and value our musicians.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that music is crucial to worship. The emotional aspect is one reason why. We WANT to worship and honor God and music seems the most natural for me. Maybe that's not true for people who are "less musical." I would say that music and prayer seem the most natural and listing to God's Word would be third for fourth on the list. I tend to think that stories are also natural so reading and reflecting on those stories would be natural as would sharing stories.
    By the way, we were at Rock Valley Christian's program last night and the version of Soon and Very Soon was the same (I guess similar) to what we sang as the quartet. Great memories of worship!

    ReplyDelete