Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

prosperity

In my reading this morning I once again came to Jabez, one more name in the midst of a half dozen chapters of genealogies. Jabez got a bad rap a number of years ago because of the Bruce Wilkensen book about his prayer, which most Reformed Christians disdain as promoting prosperity theology. 

But here’s the intriguing thing: God granted his prayer. 

Here’s everything we’re told about Jabez.  “Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, ‘I gave birth to him in pain.’ Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, ‘Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.’ And God granted his request.” (1 Chronicles 4:9-10.)

You can see why we Dutch Calvinists aren’t impressed. “Lord, make me rich and important. Oh, and give me an easy, pain-free life.” I was taught to pray for others, to pray for God’s kingdom to grow. If I do pray for myself, I tend to pray for my soul, for God’s strength to stand against temptation. To pray for an easy, prosperous life doesn’t seem consistent with warnings of how we’ll suffer if we follow Christ.

Could it be that God isn’t really as dead set against pleasure and comfort as we might make him out to be? Is it possible that sometimes, or for some people, he just delights in making us happy?

It occurs to me that maybe it’s OK for Jabez to pray for these seemingly selfish things because he is acknowledging God as the source of all goodness. He doesn’t attribute success to his own efforts. He isn’t reading self-help books and putting in 80-hour weeks in pursuit of prosperity. He asks God, the one who blesses. He trusts God, and God grants his requests.

I think this might change my prayers. Maybe I can be more forthright and honest with God about what’s really on my heart. I don’t have to pretend to be unconcerned about myself; I can pray about the things that are affecting me, even if they’re as simple and self-centered as itchy chigger bites.

Thinking like this makes God seem less a judge and more a father. That’s good.

No comments:

Post a Comment