Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, August 24, 2017

glory

I have an idea sometimes that the TV show The Walking Dead (never actually seen it, but I can't escape it around the water cooler or on social media) is a great metaphor for being Christian. As I understand it, that show is about a handful of surviving people fighting for their lives in a world of zombies, which is very much what faithful living can feel like.

Isaiah prophesied about an Israel much like that, but in his vision it would all be worth it. Here's a small excerpt from Isaiah 4:2-6: 

"In that day the Branch of the Lord will be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the land will be the pride and glory of the survivors in Israel. Those who are left in Zion, who remain in Jerusalem, will be called holy, all who are recorded among the living in Jerusalem. The Lord will wash away the filth of the women of Zion; he will cleanse the bloodstains from Jerusalem by a spirit of judgment and a spirit of fire. Then the Lord will create over all of Mount Zion and over those who assemble there a cloud of smoke by day and a glow of flaming fire by night; over everything the glory will be a canopy. It will be a shelter and shade from the heat of the day, and a refuge and hiding place from the storm and rain."

I'm tempted sometimes to let the "science proves you're an idiot" group or the "you have to tolerate my sin but I get to belittle your righteousness" crowd have the field, to just back off and let them control things. I want to just ignore the "truth is relative and you're just superstitious" attacks on my faith, to hide with my Christian tribe behind our little walls and let the world burn.

That's only when I forget who God really is, though. Those people all are tiny, squeaking mice yammering at the most powerful being there is, and he promises that one day all the filthy lies and bloody acts will go in a purge of judgment and fire. Everyone standing after that will be his people, living in peace and glory. 


I don't wish the judgment on anyone, but I am ready for the peace and glory. Come, Lord Jesus. Quickly come.

No comments:

Post a Comment