Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

senseless ones

Sometimes it seems like the post-Christian voices might be right. The church seems ill-suited to our current times, ill-suited for the anything-goes kind of tolerance demanded as the price of civic peace. Anyone who dares speak for ultimate truth on behalf of the Prince of Peace had better be ready to pay a price. Anyone willing to go along to get along, anyone willing to say what peoples’ itching ears want to hear, will find enough retweets and Facebook likes to satisfy even the most narcissistic.

On days when this seems the dominant factor, rather than just a factor, I’m tempted to believe with the Psalmist that there is no punishment for evil anymore. I want to cry out with the first two verses of Psalm 94, which starts this way:

“The Lord is a God who avenges.
O God who avenges, shine forth.
Rise up, Judge of the earth;
pay back to the proud what they deserve.”

That same Psalm has these words of caution that I think are perfectly suited for our day, in verses 8-11:
“Take notice, you senseless ones among the people;
you fools, when will you become wise?
Does he who fashioned the ear not hear?
Does he who formed the eye not see?
Does he who disciplines nations not punish?
Does he who teaches mankind lack knowledge?
The Lord knows all human plans;
he knows that they are futile.”

God knows. He knows what I really believe, not just what I have the courage to say. He knows what I’m praying for, and what I’m living for. He knows that for all of us. And, eventually, in his good time, he is the one who judges and, yes, avenges. He won’t avenge me, I don’t think, but he’ll avenge himself. All the attacks and slights and mockery from a world who think him either helpless or distant or non-existent will one day be repaid.

It’s not a thought that satisfies me – that will be a terrible day – but it does fill me with relief. And it gives me hope and strength to continue my discipleship.

No comments:

Post a Comment