Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

thistles and cedars


Here’s another of those earthy sayings I picked hanging around soldiers: Don’t let your alligator mouth write a check your hummingbird butt can’t cover. As with most of those adages, this one captures a basic truth, in this case that prideful words can get us in trouble.

Jehoash had the same message for Amaziah, recorded for us in 2 Kings 14:9-10. Amaziah, puffed up with pride over his recent defeat of the Edomites, challenges the king of Israel to battle. And then we read this:
“‘But Jehoash king of Israel replied to Amaziah king of Judah: ‘A thistle in Lebanon sent a message to a cedar in Lebanon, “Give your daughter to my son in marriage.” Then a wild beast in Lebanon came along and trampled the thistle underfoot. You have indeed defeated Edom and now you are arrogant. Glory in your victory, but stay at home! Why ask for trouble and cause your own downfall and that of Judah also?’”

This same advice would come from Paul centuries later, when he wrote to the Romans that they should not think of themselves more highly than is warranted, but instead consider their station and abilities with sober judgment.

I wonder if we haven’t lost this lesson in our time. I’m not in favor of violence as a problem-solving tool, but I remember as a boy just keeping my mouth shut rather than risk a beating. Now, with the fear of reprisal gone, people are willing to say some pretty offensive things. They no longer risk the outcome that Amaziah faced: when he persisted, Jehoash whipped his army, took him prisoner, and looted his capital.

There are still consequences to rash arrogance, though, ranging from damaged relationships through missed opportunities to being socially ostracized. Worse still, such in-your-face pride and the disrespectful attitude that goes with it violates God’s instruction to love one another.

In the end, I think Jehoash’s advice is wise, and so is Paul’s, and that from James, too, who advised me to be slow to speak and quick to listen. That’s the only way to keep my alligator mouth from getting me in over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment