Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

no vile thing

Am I committed to discipleship? I want to say yes, but when I read the Psalms of David, I'm not so sure. 

Take this example, from the start of Psalm 101:1-4
"I will sing of your love and justice;
to you, Lord, I will sing praise.
I will be careful to lead a blameless life —
when will you come to me?
I will conduct the affairs of my house
with a blameless heart.
I will not look with approval
on anything that is vile.
I hate what faithless people do;
I will have no part in it.
The perverse of heart shall be far from me;
I will have nothing to do with what is evil."

If I were honestly writing this Psalm, I would have to say, "Sometimes I lead a blameless life, but it doesn't last very long. Sometimes I seek out vile things so that I can look at them. Sometimes I tolerate what faithless people do because that's what society expects of me. Sometimes I coexist with evil and the perverse of heart."

I'm going to keep these verses in front of me for a while, and pray to see where I fail to meet David's example. I hope I have the courage and discipline to change the things God shows me.

No comments:

Post a Comment