Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Friday, August 25, 2017

good grapes

This morning, as I read Isaiah 5, I'm reminded of how much I owe God.

This chapter starts with a sort of parable about a man who builds a vineyard. The nub of the story is found in verses 1-2:
"I will sing for the one I love
    a song about his vineyard:
My loved one had a vineyard
    on a fertile hillside.
He dug it up and cleared it of stones
    and planted it with the choicest vines.
He built a watchtower in it
    and cut out a winepress as well.
Then he looked for a crop of good grapes,
    but it yielded only bad fruit."

The vineyard is a metaphor for Israel, but I see here a potent picture of myself. God has cleared my soul like this man dug rocks out of his hillside; he rooted out all those attractions and loyalties that were to the wrong things. Then he gave me his Spirit to help me guard my heart, and gifted me to be productive in my church and my town, and in his kingdom. 

Did he then watch for good fruit? I think so. But what did he see?

Yesterday, did he see love and service and good works? Today, will he see love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control? I think he did, and will. But maybe not all day long, and maybe not as ripe and mature as fruit could be.


God has told me numerous times in Scripture that I will be known by the fruit I bear. I have everything I need to yield good grapes. Do I?

No comments:

Post a Comment