Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, August 7, 2017

rescue

I’ve taken refuge in a lot of different places and ways. I hid under a canoe during a violent hail storm once, and sat out a tornado in a coal cellar. I waited out a bull on a shed roof, stood watch in a foxhole, and ran from wasps. I’ve also hidden behind my rank, wealth and privilege to avoid emotional unpleasantness. Too often these are the things I rely on.

Psalm 91 is all about taking refuge in God. I especially like verses 14-16:
“’Because he loves me,’ says the Lord, ‘I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.’”

In return for my love, God promises me the ultimate in protection plans. He has me covered for any kind of trouble in my life, which he says will be long and satisfying. He also has a great plan for my eternity. With God, I don’t have to fear physical harm, mental pain, or corrupting sin. Body, mind and soul are secure under his protection.

I wonder why I so often look for worldly protectors when I have this promise?

No comments:

Post a Comment