Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Discipline

Looking at 1 Corinthians 9 today, I’m realizing that sometimes it’s important to ignore the section headings in my Bible and just read it as Paul wrote it. In this chapter, my Bible has four separate sections that combine to make a powerful point.

The sections break down like this: the first 11 verses talk about how he should have a right to expect material support like all the others. Then, starting in verse 12, he explains why he didn’t demand those things, verse 19 begins a discussion of how he made himself a slave to everyone, and then the last section is the famous passage about running the race.

As I picked this chapter apart, I noticed Paul paired three things he didn’t do with three things he chose to do, and then gave three reasons for them.

He didn’t claim his rights for support, but instead put up with anything. The reason? So as not to hinder the Gospel of Christ (verse 12).

He didn’t take advantage of his freedom, but instead made himself a slave to everyone. The reason this time? To win as many as possible to Christ (verse 19).

He didn’t run aimlessly, but instead made his body a slave to his calling. The reason for this? So that he himself wouldn’t be disqualified for the ultimate prize of salvation (verses 26-27).

Taken all together, this is a chapter about rigorous discipline focused on kingdom work. Paul gave up his rights and his freedoms and trained himself ruthlessly to be able to fulfill God’s call on his life. What mattered to him was saving souls, his own and others.

It shames me a bit to see this constant discipline and unfailing purpose. Too many of my thoughts are self-centered; I like my rights and freedoms, and I want my life to be easy. But I also want to bring others to Christ, to see his kingdom come.

I can’t have both. Paul didn’t expect to; he made good choices, and look at his legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment