Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

first importance

I wonder, what’s the most important news I ever got? Was it that “yes” from my wife when I proposed? Word that we were going to be parents, or grandparents? Mobilization orders from the Guard?

None of those. I agree on this point with Paul who wrote in 1 Corinthians 15:3-5: "For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve."

First can be used as a category - there are four number-one seeds in the annual college basketball tournament we call March Madness, for example. But I don’t think that’s how Paul means it here.

In this case, there can be only one thing in first place. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the most important thing Paul ever heard or preached, and it’s the most important news I or the Corinthians ever received.


News like that should change everything. In fact, it did. But can people tell it did by watching me?

No comments:

Post a Comment