Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

glory of God


Paul had a simple test for things. At the end of 1 Corinthians 10, he wrote this: “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

The topic was food. In chapter 10 he remembered the time God’s people ate spiritual food (manna, I think) in the desert, but then moved on to revelries and feasting when they had their own land. He pointed out the current practice of the Corinthian church where some hogged all the food and even got drunk at church during the Communion meal. And earlier in this letter he talked about all foods being OK unless they caused a brother to stumble.

At the end of it all, this simple rule: have as your motive God’s glory.

Paul threw a little phrase into that sentence to tell me this rule is for all of life: he said, “or whatever you do.” That means that this one rule could be enough for all of life. It becomes an answer to a plethora of questions.

What to do about a relationship? How should I handle my finances? Should I watch that movie or read that book? Exercise or lounge on the couch? Seconds or no? For all of life, the answer is, “What glorifies God?”

That was Paul’s entire life, spreading the gospel for the glory of God. Surely I can make my choices with the same goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment