Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Thursday, March 1, 2018

following

It can be really hard to separate our religion from our religious leaders. I think that may be in part because it’s so hard to see Jesus, so we look to men and women who claim to represent him.

Today,though, I read the cautionary story in 1 Corinthians 1, captured succinctly in verses 11-13: “My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, ‘I follow Paul’; another, ‘I follow Apollos’; another, ‘I follow Cephas’; still another, ‘I follow Christ.’ Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?”

You’ve heard it as often as I have: instead of saying, “the Bible says this,” or “Jesus said,” people talk of what their favorite earthly preacher or teacher puts out. “John Piper says women shouldn’t preach.” “Franklin Graham says Trump is a faithful Christian.” “Rick Bell says everyone will go to heaven.”

I have a family member, a cousin, who quotes “Pastor Dave” as the authority on all matters. Others I know use Beth Moore or Ravi Zacharias or lean on certain podcasts.

But there’s a thing I just don’t see much anymore. I don’t encounter men or women who support their positions from their own Bible reading. I don’t run into people who can base a conversation on the issues on what scripture reveals about God’s heart. I hear a lot of things like, “Well, Jerry Falwell Jr. says we should have more guns on campus.” I’ve never heard anyone discuss the implications of both the shooter and victim being image-bearers of God, and what path one might have taken to get to a place where they bought Satan’s lies. It seems to me the second question is a critically important one to solving this particular problem.

Qualified, well-trained men and women are a gift from God to help us understand, but God also gives each one of us the Spirit so we can read scripture and know his will on our own. Too often, it seems to me, we instead find the preacher who’s saying what our itching ears want to hear, and jump on that bandwagon.

But, as Paul points out, none of those people were willing to go to the cross for us, or capable of accomplishing our salvation if they did. Their words are helpful only if they help us understand and follow Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment