Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, March 5, 2018

foundations

“You can’t build your life on a lie.” I heard a line employee tell his sidekick that a few weeks ago. I’m not sure, because that’s all I heard, but based on other things I know I think the second guy had a wife in another state and a new girlfriend here. If that’s the case, he got some good advice; things were bound to fall apart eventually when the truth came out.

That got me thinking about all the things we trust enough to build our lives on. Really, it’s the things we have faith in. I know a man who is building on the foundation of his dad’s money - that’s what will solve his problems one day. Others build around their own pleasure, using lustful and riotous living to ease their pain.

Paul recognized all these as lies. He built his life and faith, and every church he planted, on the true foundation of Jesus. And he admonished any church leader who didn’t do the same thing.

Look at 1 Corinthians 3:10-12: “By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work.”

Every life is a demonstration of faith in something, but the true foundation of life as it’s meant to be was laid by Jesus. Building on him is building something rock solid. Nothing else will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment