Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

in vain

As I mature, so does my works-based religion. 

I used to struggle with my desire to win something from God through the things I did, or at least the belief that those things should earn me something. Tithing, church-going, service, all in my mind added up to the kind of life that was worth something.

I know now (I knew then, too, but it’s still hard to work through) that salvation doesn’t work that way. 

But, if I’m not careful, I now substitute “being” instead of “doing” and wind up in the same place. Being a thoughtful, patient person, or a truthful person, or kinder, or gentler, or more loving - these are the new aspirations by which I gage my usefulness to God, and therefore his love for and forgiveness of me.

So it’s good for me to have Paul pull me up short again and call me out for the fool I sometimes am. Here’s what he says in Galatians 3:2-4: “I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain?”

Yes, Paul, I am so foolish. After beginning by means of the Spirit, I now sometimes think to finish either by good deeds or by being good. On the days I fall into that old thinking, my faith experiences have been in vain.

One way not to be a fool is to listen to wise counselors. Today I’m listening to Paul, who pushes me back to the fundamentals of my faith. Today, I’m trying to focus on the amazing fact of the cross, the grave, the resurrection, and the ascension of my Lord, and my grateful response. 


Perfect timing, because it’s Passion Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment