Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Monday, March 12, 2018

knowledge


One thing I’ve always liked about my denomination is that we value knowledge. We Calvinists are known for a cerebral faith, and as a person who is uncomfortable with emotion I’ve always found some security in that. I’m a guy who thinks stepping back from your feelings and acting based on facts is the best way.

In this, as so many other things, I’m not always support by scripture. Here’s how Paul puts it in 1 Corinthians 8:1-2: “We know that ‘We all possess knowledge.’ But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know.”

People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care. I’m not sure who said that, but there’s a lot of truth in it, and it’s central to Paul’s point. Those emotional Christians who make me uncomfortable make a lot of other people feel better. It takes an emotional connection to build people up.

Instead of taking pride in what I know, I need to remember that I don’t know all that much, and some of what I think I know is wrong. But Christ-like love is never wrong, and loving motives are a better guide to navigating life that all the head-smarts in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment