Reflections on God's travel guide to my journey back home.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

better than steroids

The people were grieving. As they celebrated God’s faithfulness to them in completing the wall around Jerusalem, they realized how unfaithful they had been to God. Nehemiah comforted them with these words: "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10.

The joy of the Lord is my strength. I can read that two ways. On the one hand, it seems to say that I’ll be strengthened if I take joy in God. Or maybe, I gain strength because God takes joy in me. I’m inclined to the first one, because sometimes I don’t give God much reason for joy.

Nehemiah seems to be saying, “This is a celebration of God’s holiness. That’s a joyful occasion, and you’ll gain strength for your fight against sin if you take joy in the holiness of God.”

I’d like to think that’s true. I’d like to think that all my weakness in the face of temptation will fade if I just think about what God did for his people, and what Jesus did on the cross. I hope that, as I contemplate what holiness means when it describes God and what holiness means when it describes the people of God, I’m inspired toward that holiness.

And then to take joy in that, to really rejoice. To celebrate who God is and what he’s done. That should be an attitude that is impervious to temptation.

True joy in God really is a source of strength, better than steroids or weight workouts. Those can build muscle bulk but could also weaken faith as I bolster my own physical strength. They do nothing to help me fight sin.

I need to live with more joy in my life. Instead of needing something to make me joyful, I need to take joy in God. Not just for the strength, but because it’s what I was made for. And it would sure beat the misery I too often choose instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment